Singapore Citizens with special educational needs will be given absolute priority for admission to Pathlight School.
Singapore Permanent Residents (PR) and Foreigners may apply for admission to Pathlight School subject to Ministry of Education's terms and conditions. In accordance to these terms and conditions, Singapore Permanent Residents (PR) and Foreigners will be served only if there are no Singapore Citizen children with special educational needs on the waiting list.
As we always have a waitlist of Singapore Citizens for a place in Pathlight, we are sorry that we are not able to serve non-Singapore citizens at the moment.
At the time of admission to Pathlight, the student must be between 7 and 16 years old.
Primary Diagnosis of Autistic Spectrum Disorder (ASD)
- The child needs to be diagnosed with mild to moderate ASD.
- Diagnosis must be supported by a diagnostic report or written statement from a relevant medical professional or psychologist.
- Applicants need to be assessed to have adequate non-verbal cognitive abilities, verbal and literacy skills to access the language demands of the Singapore mainstream academic curriculum.
- In the event that the student's verbal ability cannot be ascertained during the psychological assessment, evidence must be provided to support the student's ability to meet the language demands of the mainstream curriculum. Examples of relevant support can include:
- Speech & Language Assessment of the student's receptive language and comprehension skills.
- Literacy & Numeracy Assessment indicating that student has the necessary pre-academic/academic skills for the grade of entry.
- Important points to note for assessments/reports:
- The assessment must be conducted within two (2) years of the application.
- Applicant must be at least 4 years 6 months old at the time of assessment.
- The cognitive assessment must be conducted using one of the following tests:
- Wechsler Scales
- Stanford-Binet Intelligence Scales
- British Ability Scales
Applicants must be assessed to show readiness to access Singapore mainstream academic curriculum in a structured group learning environment (average class size of 8 - 12 students).
- Adequate joint attention for group learning and following group instructions
- Adequate self-help skills so that child's ability to access the pace of learning within a group setting is maximised.
At the time of admission, the student should not present with behavioural challenges or co-morbid conditions that will disrupt group learning or pose significant safety concerns for the individual and others.
- Applicants who meet identified criteria are required to attend a School Screening Assessment to ascertain placement suitability.
- Ultimately, the decision on admission to the School rests with the School's Admission and Review Committee, comprising the Principal and other appointed educators and medical professionals.
- We would like to encourage families to prepare their child to be school-ready with self-help skills such as toileting and feeding.